283 Colborne St, Port Stanley, ON N5L 1A9 - Tel: 519-782-3122
Christ Anglican Church in Port Stanley is located some 10 minutes south of St. Thomas on Highway 4. During the Church's infancy in the early 1800s its location was described as the church at the Bend of the Kettle Creek River.
After the war between the United States and Great Britain, 1812-1814, Lieutenant-Colonel John Bostwick, of the English Army, permanently settled in Port Stanley and gradually settlers came and resided in the Port.
Between 1824 and 1848 the settlement at Port Stanley was considered a mission and outpost of the St. Thomas Parish.
In 1826 Col. Bostwick set aside land for the purpose of building a church.
However, it wasn't until 1834 that a congregation was organized, and in 1841 a building committee was formed and plans for a church building began in earnest.
The church building was completed in 1845 in what was then becoming the traditional New England style.
Square timbers fastened with oak pegs, along with a spire ninety feet high.
The church' s opening service was held in June 1845 and was named Christ Church.
Today, Christ Anglican Church serves as a place of worship and spiritual leadership for the parishioners and the community as well as a beautiful reminder of both the community and parish's illustrious history.
Buried in the churchyard, which is much older then the church, lies Colonel John Bostwick, his wife and 27 of the Colonel's descendants, as well as graves dating as far back as Jane Morgan, 1823.
Within the walls of Christ Church one can still enjoy such historical treasures as the 400 pound bell that was purchased in 1845 from Troy, New York.
Adding to the beauty of this distinguished building are its stained glass windows which extend some 14 feet high, some having been placed in memorial as early as 1883.
The current parishioners of Christ Anglican Church, many descending from the original settlers and parishioners, continue their diligent service to the community. The church serves as a meeting place for community groups such as Beavers and the local Lioness Club.
The church offers Sunday services all year round at 8:30 am and 10:30 am with Eucharist at both services, as well as special services celebrated within the church calendar.
Rector: Rev. Patt Nunn
Church office hours: Tuesdays from noon-5:00 pm and Thursdays from 9:00am-2:00pm.